Monday, May 16, 2016

The Joys of Small Races - Forest Park Runner's Club Forest Park Classic 4 Mile Race

When I started running about 8 years ago, what really attracted me was the glory and excitement of being a part of all the big races.  The New York marathon; Boston, London; Chicago; I've been lucky enough to run in some of the most spectacular races in the world.   As anyone who's run down 1st Ave in New York on marathon day or run up towards Buckingham Palace just before making the final turn to the finish line in London can testify, being part of a race with thousands and thousands of other participants and millions of spectators is a special thrill that will provide special memories that will last a lifetime.

Recently though I've become more turned on to the charm of smaller, lower key events.  They may not provide such an adrenaline rush but there are lots of great things about them.

Finished!
I did one last Sunday that encapsulates what I like about them: the Forest Park Classic 4 Mile Race, held by the Forest Park Runners Club.

First thing to like:  the race took me outside of the familiar territory of Central Park and into Queens, where I'd never run before.  FP is the 3rd largest park in Queens, and the course was a mixture of road and trails, an interesting change of terrain.  At $20, the entrance fee was cheaper than a New York Road Runner's event, and according to the running club's website is a fundraiser for childhood pediatric cancers.

One of the things to like the best was the start.  With the race starting at 10 (my kind of time..never been into the super early starts), my friend Stacy and I were able to show up fashionably late at around 9.55, pick up our bibs, drop off our bag, attach bibs to shirts, and STILL make it to the start line with plenty of time to spare before the old starting gun when off (well, 10 seconds or so).  No waiting in corrals for what seems like hours in the freezing cold for this particular race!

Off we set with the other 321 runners in this race, first round a running track, then into the woods.  I'd never run on trails before but enjoyed their softness underfoot.  The vibe of the race was super friendly with a real mixture of age ranges and abilities.  After maybe going out possibly a soupçon too fast and remembering that I haven't been doing that much running recently, I settled into a regular comfortable pace where the heart wasn't doing 200 bpm, and with Stacy alongside me was happy to see the running track for the last loop and then to finish under 40 minutes, in a final time of 38.49.

It was a great feeling afterwards to hang out just behind the finish line, feeling the endorphins kicking in, watching other runners cross the finish line, and generally soak up the post race atmosphere.  There was an awards ceremony with trophies across the age ranges, as families with their dogs and the local running community, obviously lots of old time friends, congregated.

This may not have been a spectacular race with 40,000 people, but it had everything that I love about running; it got me outside and moving around on a Sunday morning, keeping me in shape and lifting my mood for the rest of the day, it gave me a sense of achievement of crossing a finishing line, and it put me in the middle of a community of people who share of love of being active and in shape. Can't think of a better way to start the day!

2 comments:

  1. Tasting yummy cuisines at a local event venue Chicago was an amazing experience last weekend. There was a food tasting event going on and got free passes from my company. Decided to attend this event with family.

    ReplyDelete